Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The OGs of Cute

So you may be wondering why I have combined French, Japanese, and English in my blog title. Or not. I don't really care because like it or not, I am now going to explain why I did that.

Anyway, my mom was born and raised in Japan...long story short, though we are not ethnically Japanese, we are quite bi-cultural, and I have spent a lot of time in Japan...probably cumulatively two years worth and I usually visit every year or every other year. So it's an important part of my life.

Secondly, my mom lives in France as of last September so I have been learning French culture as well. Both cultures have a lot of cute. Mainly Japan - France is more elegant.

Basically Japanese people are the OGs of cuteness. They just know how to do it.

Exhibit A:
This is Fruits Basket, my favorite anime. It is retardedly cute - each character has a zodiac animal they turn into, except for Tohru, the girl in the center, whose icon is an onigiri or rice ball. When she hugs members of the zodiac that are male, they turn into whatever animal they are and then when they change back, they change back naked. How prim and cute but subtly erotic. It's what the Japanese do best.

Exhibit B:
Panda shaped cream puffs! Saw this while in Harajuku, Japan and had to take a picture. I literally stopped in my tracks upon observing this since sweets and pandas are only two of my favorite things in the world.

So as you can see, Japan pretty much has it down. There is even a word for couples that dress the same, and girls often talk in high pitched, hyper-feminine voices.

I rest my case.

Kisses,
Nora

2 comments:

  1. *Kawaii
    =) kawai is piano company, haha.
    i really like the idea of this blog though, nora.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha thanks! totally made a typo there.

    ReplyDelete